The Windsor PTA provides funding for enrichment opportunities at Windsor Elementary School for every student. Please consider joining the PTA to help keep these programs active and continue to give our Windsor Community a great family and educational experience! Here are some of the PTA sponsored programs at Windsor. Get involved! You will be glad you did!
FOCUS ON STUDENTS
- Birthday Books (K-5th) – to help celebrate a student on (or around) their birthday, each student can visit the main office to choose a book of their very own to take home and enjoy!
- Cultural Arts Presentation (K-5th) – special presentations coordinated and funded by the PTA for all students to enjoy via a school assembly.
- Junior Great Books Program (1st-5th) – extracurricular, reading enrichment program held for 8-weeks starting in late Jan – early Mar.
- Camp Duncan (5th) – offered to 5th graders.
- World of Work (5th) – offered to 5th graders.
- Kindergarten Activity Night (open to all Kindergarteners) – organized and delivered by the Kindergarten Activity Night Committee typically the 3rd week in October.
- First Grade Activity Night (open to all 1st graders) – organized and delivered by the First Grade Activity Night Committee typically held the 2nd week in November.
- National PTA Reflections Art Program (K-5th) – a art competition with a yearly theme selected by the National PTA. Local Unit Representatives (as part of the Reflections Committee) support students by advertising yearly theme information, rules of entry, guidelines for submissions, entry forms, and collecting, packaging Windsor student projects and coordinate delivery to Council (AHCPTAs) for judging. Projects may or may not advance to Region, State, and National levels.
- 2018/19 Theme: “Heroes Around Me”
- 2019/20 Theme: “Look Within”
- 2020/21 Theme: “I Matter Because…”
- Chess Club (K-5th) provided by Coach Paul Ruso of Illinois Chess Teachers – Fridays 3:35-4:35 in the Library (LMC). Chess Club Committee communicates with Coach Paul and organizes parent volunteers to provide support at student arrival/ dismissal and on Free Pizza Dates (offered the first date of a each session). There are three 8-week sessions during the school year. Dates for 2018/19 are as follows:
- Green Team (1st-5th) – an eco-friendly club for students interested in the environment, recycling, and gardening. Organized and run by the Green Tea Committee and Parent Volunteers. Typically held in the LMC one Monday a month during the school year during student lunchtime recess. Parent permission/waiver is required in order to attend.
- Variety Show – CANCELED for 2018/19 (4th & 5th only) – organized and delivered by the Variety Show Committee typically in Nov/Dec time frame. The Variety Show hosts performances by 4th and 5th graders and involves Emcee opportunities and an evening show in December. Tryouts/ auditions are held in early November with rehearsals continuing until the December performances through an assembly to all Wildcats and evening time on a limited-ticket basis to families of the 4th & 5th graders.
- Wildcat Dance Party (K- 5th) – The dance party is open to all students and is held in late January. Each year it has a themed and is organized and delivered by the PTA Dance Party Committee. There is 30-minutes of sensory friendly time (regular lighting and lower volume music) before the lights turn low and the volume is higher. The event time and duration is determined by school administration and the Dance Party Committee.
- Science & Engineering Fair (K-5th) – Organized and delivered in February by the Science Fair Committee. Students have a chance to explore Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics through an experiment or researching a topic and presenting at the yearly Science & Engineering Fair! A perfect activity for Winter Break.
- Celebrate 5th Graders – several dedicated projects and events to celebrate our 5th graders in their last year at Windsor! Organized and delivered by the 5th Grade Committee and several subcommittees. Students enjoy a unique class t-shirt, class photo, memory video, and end-of-year breakfast held in late May.
- Family Fun Event (K-5th) – Event open to students and their families on a day of no school. Date, activity and venue may vary from year to year.
WAYS WE FOCUS ON OUR STAFF/TEACHERS
- Recruiting, assigning, and supporting Room Reps for all classrooms
- Recruiting and supporting Library Media Center (LMC) Volunteers
- Celebrate teachers and staff the 3rd week of May during Staff Appreciation Week!
WAYS WE FOCUS ON FAMILIES & OUR COMMUNITY
- Veterans Breakfast – provided on a limited basis, RSVP only to Windsor students & their Veteran(s). A breakfast celebration organized and funded by a combination of the Windsor PTA and community donations. Breakfast is provided along with a presentation of the flags by a local Boy Scout Troop (typically Troop 132 in Arlington Heights). Windsor School further celebrates the Veterans by organizing a short parade down the primary school hallway and including Veterans in the morning announcements. Windsor loves to honor and thank our local Veterans!
- Welcome Committee – (Any new families and families of Kindergarteners)
- Volunteer Recognition – (celebrate our volunteers)
- Middle School Liaison – Attend South Middle School PTA meetings and review/update Middle School Transition
- A.C.E. it 25!– coming soon!
- Back-to-School-Social (K-5th) – organized and delivered by the Back-to-Social-Social Committee in late August. This event reconnects families and friends after our summer break away from school.
- Wildcat Character (K-5th) – focuses on ways to build character by providing ways for students to provide service to and for their school and community.
- National PTA School of Excellence – We Want to Hear From You! (9/25/18), Survey Published (9/5/18)
- Marquee – provide date relevant, all school activities on the information board/marquee located on Miner Street.