The Windsor PTA provides both funding for enrichment opportunities at Windsor Elementary School for every student and parent volunteers. Please consider joining the PTA to help keep these programs active and continue to give our Windsor Community a great family and educational experience! Here are some of the PTA sponsored programs at Windsor.
WAYS WE FOCUS ON STUDENTS
- Birthday Books (K-5th) – to help celebrate a student on (or around) their birthday, each student can visit the main office to choose a book of their very own to take home and enjoy!
- Cultural Arts Presentation (K-5th) – special presentations coordinated and funded by the PTA for all students to enjoy via a school assembly.
- Family Fun Event (K-5th) – Free event open to students and their families. Date, activity and venue may vary from year to year.
- Dance Party (K- 5th) – The dance party is open to all students and is held in late January. A 30-min sensory friendly time (regular lighting and lower volume music) kicks off the night before the full festivities begin. The event theme, time and duration is determined by the Dance Party Committee and school administration.
- Science & Engineering Fair (K-5th) – Organized and delivered in February by the Science Fair Committee. Students have a chance to explore Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics through a project of their choice presented at the annual Science & Engineering Fair! A perfect activity for Winter Break.
- Reflections (K-5th) – an art competition with a yearly theme selected by the National PTA. Local Unit Representatives (as part of the Reflections Committee) support students by advertising yearly theme information, rules of entry, guidelines for submissions, entry forms, and collecting, packaging Windsor student projects and coordinate delivery to Council (AHCPTAs) for judging. Projects may also advance to Region, State, and National levels.
- Chess Club (K-5th) – provided by Coach Paul Ruso of Illinois Chess Teachers – on most Fridays 3:35-4:35 pm in LMC. Chess Club Committee organizes parent volunteers to assist during student arrival/ dismissal and on Free Pizza Dates (typically the first date of each session). There are several 8-week sessions during the school year and continued instruction is provided by ICT via student registration/enrollment.
- Junior Great Books Program (1st-5th) – a small reading enrichment group lead by parent volunteers in late Jan – early Mar. A small fee may be charged to participate to cover cost of materials used during this 8-week program. Specific JGB books can be borrowed, purchased, and donated as necessary.
- Running Club: Grades 3-5, Tuesdays in the fall after school
- Green Team (1st-5th) – an eco-friendly club for students interested in the environment, recycling, and gardening. Organized and run by the Green Team Committee and Parent Volunteers. Typically held in the LMC one Monday a month Sept-May during student lunch recess. Parent permission/waiver is required in order to attend.
- Kindergarten Activity Night (open to all Kindergartners AM & PM) – organized and delivered by the Kindergarten Activity Night Committee and parent volunteers typically the 3rd week in October. A parent/guardian attends with their child.
- 1st Grade Activity Night (open to all 1st graders) – organized and delivered by the First Grade Activity Night Committee and parent volunteers typically held the first week of November. Parent/guardian does not attend with their child.
- 5th Grade Committee (5th graders) – run and organized by 5th grade parent volunteers, students enjoy dedicated activities to celebrate their last year at Windsor! Activities delivered via several subcommittees like a unique class t-shirt, class photo, class banner, memory video, and end-of-year breakfast held the last week of school.
- World of Work (5th) – offered to 5th graders
WAYS WE FOCUS ON OUR STAFF/TEACHERS
- Room Reps – Recruiting, assigning, and supporting parent volunteers to support all classrooms
- Library Volunteers – Recruiting and supporting parent volunteers to assist in the LMC during their child’s library time.
- Staff Appreciation – A week of activities organized by the Teacher Appreciation Committee and run in conjunction with assistance from Room Reps and parents to celebrate our teachers and staff for an entire week of Teacher Appreciation. Typically the first full week in May.
- Providing a meal in August to welcome staff back to school and at Fall and Spring Conference times.
- Dinner for Teachers during our Fall & Spring Parent/Teacher Conferences. Parent volunteers donate items to complete the meal.
WAYS WE FOCUS ON FAMILIES & OUR COMMUNITY
- Back-to-School-Social (K-5th) – organized and delivered by the Back-to-Social-Social Committee in late August. This event reconnects families and friends after our summer break away from school.
- Windsor Cares (K-5th) – organizing ways for students to give service to and for their school and local community.
- Veterans Breakfast & Celebration – Windsor loves to honor and thank our local Veterans on or around Nov 11th! Open to students, a parent & their Veteran. Breakfast is provided by the Windsor PTA and the celebration partners with Windsor School to include thank you cards, a presentation of the flags (courtesy of a local Boy Scout Troop 132 in Arlington Heights) and 4th/5th grade chorus performance. Veterans are then celebrated in the LMC during a special morning announcement followed by a parade down the 2nd grade hallway. Due to space limitations, an RSVP is required.
- Welcome Committee (new families and families of Kindergartners and/or 1st graders) – Let by parent volunteers, resources to new families to our school.
- Transition to Middle School (parents/guardians of 5th graders) – A Middle School Liaison (sub committee of the 5th Grade Committee) helps by reviewing/updating our Introduction to South MS document for parents/guardians and as applicable sharing information from South PTA.